enterprise + cloud + open
Last December, I gave a brief presentation at the first CloudStack Collaboration Conference on the open source cloud stuff in the enterprise.
Some salient points:
- Things that work trump things that don't
- Picking a winner is more important than picking the winner
- Speed and cost matter more than open or closed
- There are (and will be) private "clouds"
- There are (and will be) "hybrid" clouds
- Tech is easy, people and process are hard
- "Openness" can be measured, if you care to
- "Open" has been turned into a feature and marketing term
- Open doesn't save you from lock-in or vendors
- Open doesn't automagically solve portability and interoperability challenges
- Any, some, maybe all, parts of a given cloud can be open